Action button does not work
Sometimes the "Action" button does not trigger the modal. Try restarting the tool. If the problem persists, adopt via SSH instead.
Device Login Failed / Invalid Credentials
The device credentials are incorrect. The username and password is for the device, not the HostiFi website, or UniFi controller.
- Try factory resetting by holding the reset ping for 30 seconds to reset the credentials back to username ubnt, password ubnt
- Or: retrieve the device credentials from the existing UniFi controller under Settings > Site > Device Authentication
Sometimes the Ubiquiti Device Discovery Tool will show Login Failed even after the device has been factory reset, in which case you should try adopting via SSH instead.
Device does not show up in UniFi
- Make sure your set-inform URL is correct. It must start with http:// and end with :8080/inform. Always use the DNS name of the server instead of IP address
- Log in via SSH and issue the "info" command to look for an error message there
- If "info" command shows the set-inform URL is still the default of http://unifi:8080/inform, try factory resetting with "set-default" and then use the SSH adoption method.
Device stuck "Adopting" then "Disconnected"
The UniFi adoption process is 3 steps:
- Device set-informs to the server
- "Adopt" is clicked in the controller to accept the device
- Device set-informs a second time to finish the adoption
When a device gets stuck "Adopting", it is caused by step 3 being missed. The Ubiquiti Device Discovery Tool is supposed to do step 3 in the background, without user interaction, but sometimes it doesn't do it for some reason.
Try the SSH adoption method instead which is more reliable, you will be able to make sure step 3 is completed by doing it manually.
Device stuck in "Pending Adoption (Update Required)" Loop
With some devices, a firmware update is required before the device can be adopted. In some cases, clicking the "Adopt and Upgrade" button does not successfully update the device's firmware and a manual update is required.
1. Take note of the device model, and check Ubiquiti's download page for the latest firmware for that device
2. Copy the link to the firmware
3. Upgrade the device manually via SSH or using the Ubiquiti Device Discovery Tool
- Use the command "upgrade <link-to-firmware>" via SSH
- Or: use the Action button > Upgrade via the Ubiquiti Device Discovery Tool